Stacks Image p14557_n14441

making gates safe
01303 840 117

use yellow button to navigate site

GATE SAFE NEWS

ASDA SECURITY GATE ‘HITS TODDLER IN HEAD’

asda
A mother has told of the horrific moment she was shopping in a branch of Asda with her one-year-old son when he was left screaming in pain as metal security gates smashed into his head.

Paige Thorpe was walking into her local branch of the high street giant with her one-year-old toddler Oscar in a pram.

The pair were about to start their weekly shop on Wednesday morning and were walking through metal security gates when, she claims, they suddenly slammed shut as Oscar's pram was passing through.

Paige claims the gates at the Accrington Asda smashed into little Oscar's head leaving him screaming in agony.

The 25-year-old mum said: "I was in total shock as you don't expect something like this to happen. Someone had just gone through the gates ahead of us so they were open but as we walked through they slammed shut, cracking on Oscar's head. He screamed out in pain and I rushed to pick him up and check he was okay. A bruise was already forming on his forehead in the few seconds it took for me to get him."

Paige, who says she does her weekly shop in the same store, claims she rushed to go and find the nearest staff member, who asked her if she wanted a first aider.

The store also asked the mother if she wanted an ambulance or help in getting Oscar to hospital but Paige told them she did not think it was necessary and that a cold compress should be enough.

The mum claims she waited for more than 5 minutes for a first aider who then asked another member of staff to hold ice on Oscar's head to help the swelling.

Paige said: "I could not believe it too so long for them to come and help us. No-one but the security guard we first went to seemed that concerned.

"The staff member then handed the ice over to me and I held it on Oscar's head for as I walked through the store."

The young mother then completed her shopping but was aware Oscar was not himself throughout - barely speaking and appearing sleepy.

As she was leaving, she saw the same security guard who asked how it happened before allegedly claiming it might be due to Oscar's size and the gates not 'seeing' him.

Once home, the mother and her partner continued monitoring Oscar before dashing to A&E in the evening after being advised to do so by 111.

Paige said: "We have been told to just monitor him but its two days later now and he is still not himself.

"I can't understand why these gates did not have any working sensors that picked up Oscar was there and the response we had was just unacceptable.

"I complained straight away but have not had anything back from Asda yet. It's a disgrace."

A spokesman for Asda said: "At Asda, we take the safety of our customers extremely seriously and are investigating how the incident happened.

"We hope to be in contact with the family soon and send our very best wishes to Oscar for a speedy recovery.”

——

Richard Jackson from Gate Safe commented:
“Another harsh reminder of the importance of following the correct safety protocol for automated gates. Had the correct guidance been followed, this gate would never have come into contact with the toddler and therefore the injuries would not have been sustained.”

3rd Feb 2017

Share this story

GATE SAFE
VISUALISER

Our new online tool to help specify safe automated gates

IT’S FREE
CLICK NOW TO TRY IT
Address:
Gate Safe
Beverlea, Clavertye,
Elham, Canterbury
Kent. CT4 6YE

t: 01303 840 117

Gate Safe is a registered charity in England and Wales (no 1149261). Gate Safe and the Gate Safe logo are registered trade marks of GSSC Ltd.

Stacks Image p39176_n39157

Working together with Gate Safe